Thursday, January 31, 2008

"The waiting is the hardest part..." as the song goes. I don't like being idle when I know there's things to be done.

Arrrrgh!! That feels better. Its been one of those weeks. Like last week. "Hurry up!" and now waiting. Waiting for people to stop arguing about the finer points of protocols and procedures so we can get back to work and back to the "Hurry up!" phase again. It seems as though some folks revel in the rhetorical. Why make a decision when they can bring more and more people into the discussion? And of course everyone is right and everyone is wrong. Around and around.

Anyway, two more weeks until my stress fracture should be healed. Not running is now driving me bonkers. At first it wasn't too bad, but now I'm antsy. The days are getting longer. I'm seeing more people out running. We haven't had much rain, snow or ice. Great temperatures for running. I organized an informal running club a few years ago. Looking at the race schedule in the Philly region over the next few months is both inspiring and frustrating. There are a lot of great races to be run. Not that I 've ever had any chance at winning. I have placed in my age group several times, though. I like the social aspects of races. Seeing friends, the competition, doing something in a group but also individually. I just have to be careful not to over do it and risk a re-fracture.

And then there's the homebrew competition. The secondary fermentation of my chocolate stout should be done in another week or so, and I'm anxious to see if it turns out well. The competition is in late February. Waiting....

The "new" running shoes I bought just before the stress fracture, two bottles of homebrewed chocolate stout, and the brace I've been wearing since the end of November.

3 comments:

Sam said...

It looks like an anti-drinking print ad:

These shoes were made for running, not for falling and breaking shit. Don't drink.

I can't wait to hear how your brew turns out!

doll said...

Chocolate stout, my favourite type of beer, had one at a little brewery recently, quite a luxury in the land of lager type beers.

Patience is always a virtue worth mastering. Just a suggestion - Have you been doing running meditations? I'm sure you know the routes you normally run well enough to be able to run them in your mind. Plugged into running music it could be a way of passing the time and preparing for your return to the open air.

SheenV said...

Sam, That made me laugh! I'll let you know.

Doll, I hadn't thought of running meditations. Thanks for the suggestion!