Another lesson in Philly Culture 101 (actually its the first)
Its that time of year when all of the great competitors meet in the toughest challenge they may face in their lifetime. Its that time for victories to be won by the champions, and for the losers to lick thier wounds and hope to compete again next year. It brings out the best and the worst in all who participate and watch first hand the event know as Wing Bowl!
This is one of the - great? sad? disgusting? amazing? - annual events in Philadelphia as seemingly only Philadelphians from the 700 Level could dream up. (The 700 Level was the top section in the old Veterans Stadium, and the folks who sat up there were not known to be the most respectful and dignified people on Earth.) Actually, the chicken wing eating contest started a local radio station, 610AM WIP, 16 years ago at the station and grew so large that they sell out the Wachovia Center. Its not for the feint of heart. There are the Wingettes (strippers), the rowdy (and drunk) crowd, the piles of chicken wings, and the competitors themselves. There's the eating, the vomiting, the flashing.
Joey Chestnut won againg this year, beating 5-time champ El Wingador again.
I've never been to it, but I have listened to it on the radio, seen highlights on TV, and the photos & video on the Internets. Its not something most people would put on the "Top 10 List of Events for Visitors to Attend" as it probably doesn't give the best impression of the city. It is a spectacle. I'll leave it to you to decide the kind of spectacle it is.
2 comments:
Ha ha, you've peaked my curiousity. I looked up the wing bowl and found tons of stuff. How come the locals don't like Sonya Thomas? I don't get that, I'd be routing for a 98 pound woman taking on a 315 pound guy in an eating contest.
I think they don't like her because she's not the 315 lb guy who's making a mess of himself during the contest. She's not the blue collar "everyman" that makes up most of the fans. Philly has a thing for underdogs and locals.
Post a Comment