Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Running!

On Saturday I ran in my first race of the year. It was a 5-mile race and I did pretty well, just over 41 minutes. The temperature was in the mid-30's and I felt good while running. My time was pretty good for me based on past races, but not a personal best. I'm nowhere near fast enough to finish in the Top 3 overall or even in my 35-39 age group. I'm a middle-packer.

After the race I wondered how the results of this race compared to the results of all of the races I've run - 5K's, 10K's, 5-miles, and 10-miles. After compiling all the results, my fastest times are, as expected, in the 5K's, running at an average pace of just under 8 minutes per mile. The 10-miler's are next at around 8-1/4 minutes per mile. Surprising to me is that the 5-miler's are the slowest at about 8-1/2 minutes per mile. I think this may be due to the fact that I've run the 5-milers in the winter when I run mostly on the treadmill. The 10-milers are run in the early spring after training mostly outside.

To improve, I need to run more often at any distance. Currently, I've only had the time to run outside on either Saturday or Sunday on the weekends, and inside on the treadmill mostly just once a week during the week, at distances of 4-6 miles per run. Now that the days are getting longer, I'm going to try to run shorter distances (~3 miles) outside at least two additional days per week. Hopefully, this will improve my endurance in the 10-mile race in the spring.


Is there a tie-in to crossdressing? No, not specifically for me. In the Philly Marathon last year I did see a man run in what looked like a crocheted red dress, red spray-painted running shoes, and a big fuzzy red wig. I do like the running skirts that I've seen a few women wear at races. Very feminine and attractive! I do need to get new running shoes, though, and running in pink shoes just doesn't do it for me.

2 comments:

Madame X said...

Those running skirts are for those blessed with long legs.

I look squat in one.

Just saying.

Funny, I have a post on running.

SheenV said...

Just read it, X! Hmmm, who's was first? Or is it telepathy?