Monday, January 30, 2006

Pedometers

Does anyone use a pedometer regularly? Its a small gadget that is worn on the waist that counts the number of steps taken as a way to measure physical activity. They say that one should take at least 10,000 steps per day to stay in shape. I've been wearing one for about the last nine months and I keep a daily log of the results. Sure, sounds kind of boring and geeky to keep track of the number of steps I take everyday, one could even say its a bit obsessive. I've found, however, that its a good gauge of how I physically feel. On days that I've hit 10,000 and beyond, I feel good - more energetic, more upbeat, I sleep better. On lesser days, quite the opposite - sluggish, dull, on edge. Since I've started my new job in December, my daily steps has gone down significantly and I can really tell the difference. Argh! I run about twice a week. That adds to that day's total and brings it well over 10K. Weekly totals are down, however. I know what I need to do - walk more every day. I just need to go out there and do it!

2 comments:

Shay said...

I'm a student, so I get A LOT of walking done around campus, to and from campus, from my office to the water fountain ^_~

I should get a pedometer to find out how many steps I'm really taking every day.

SheenV said...

I walked like crazy when I was in college. It seemed like everywhere I needed to go was always on the opposite side of campus from where I was at.