Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Tcho Chocolate "Fruity"

I recently enjoyed another sample of chocolate from chocolatier Tcho, this time a sample of the "Fruity" kind. (See here for my post on "Chocolatey") As before, the "Fruity" chocolate came in the small brown wrapper and contained two large squares of chocolate with small sections to make dividing easier. The nose knows, so once I opened the package, I deeply inhaled the aroma. Wow! I'm glad I was sitting down - pure heaven! If only someone would make a perfume that smelled like chocolate you'd have to beat me away from it... Anyway, the aroma reminded me somewhat of a deep red wine mixed with bittersweet chocolate. Very good IMO. I took a piece out, and here's where I wished I had not left the package in a warm part of the kitchen. It wasn't melty, but just didn't have that kind of crisp snap that I like. Leaving it in the fridge would have helped, but the cold would have also dampened the aroma and taste. I put the piece in my mouth and just let it sit there to melt. That's how I like to savor good chocolate - just let it melt without any chewing (the cheap stuff I chew right down). Mmmm, bittersweet chocolate with a hint of raisins. It melted well on my tongue and sent waves of the same aroma through my nose.

How does "Fruity" compare with "Chocolatey"? I definitely liked "Chocolatey" better. "Fruity" is excellent chocolate, mind you, its just that I'm a chocoholic. I'd pick "Fruity" over just about any other solid chocolate bar, except for "Chocolatey". I like raisins just as raisins, not mixed in cookies or bread. Not that the taste of raisins is overpowering in "Fruity", it isn't, but given the choice "Chocolatey" it is.

Not sure when Tcho is going from the beta phase of manufacturing to full production. Not too long I hope. I do hope they make a powdered chocolate - I'm itching to improve my chocolate stout recipe!

No comments: