Very random thoughts for today!
I'm writing this on my Palm while I'm in the air on my way to the San Francisco airport, then on to the hotel in San Mateo, and finally to work tomorrow in Menlo Park. I'm not sure when I'll be able to post this as I just realized that I don't have the cable to download it to my laptop. I might be able to use the IR link possibly at the hotel. I'm sitting in the middle seat on a crowded flight. Not lucky enough to have two models on either side of me, but no behemoths either.
I rode the train to the airport this morning. I like riding the rails despite the recent higher-profile crimes in the news lately. It's interesting to people watch as we all go about our day. One new thing I noticed today as I was riding the train facing backwards: the old Fleer Gum building is alongside the rails in the city. I had heard it was in Philly and never knew where. The sign is in good shaped, but the building is a bit run down.
Saturday we were at a local church's Night At The Races. The only thing I won was a door prize of a bottle of Tia Maria, a coffee liqueur. Anyone want to come over and help me drink it?
The guy with whom I'm traveling (note the correct use of the preposition, Lisa, if you're reading. LOL!) suggested we eat dinner in 'Frisco on the way to the hotel (aren't I cool for using that nickname? Not!). Good deal! Hopefully I'll get me some of that sourdough bread, chocolate, and beer for which the city is famous (did you see that one, Lisa?).
I'm on a US Airways flight. They charge $5 for special headphones to watch the movie. What a rip! American let passengers use their own and watch the movie for free, or purchase a reusable pair for $2. This raises new and troubling questions that are often baffling and perverse.
Enough writing for now. Time to read or sleep. Reading material:
-"ISO Guideline 17025 General Requirements for the Competence of Testing and Calibration Laboratories" (which will then lead to sleep)
-"The GMAT Information Bulletin" (another snoozer)
-Joe Sixpack's Philly Beer Guide". I highly recommend this and Lew Bryon's "Pennsylvania Breweries" for anyone interested in PA beer. Little known Philly beer fact: There are more Belgian varieties of beer available in Philly than anywhere else in the States.
4 comments:
$5 for headphones? Nuh uh. That bites. We have reusable ones that we've used on a couple different airlines. Note to self: avoid US Air.
Fleer once had gum? Actually I remember the gum, before they stopped the pretense and just started selling the cards by themselves.
A church with gambling and booze. Must be Catholic. Certainly not Methodists! I do enjoy Tia Maria though, so just give me directions and I'll swing by on my drive to S.C. LOL
As a reserve member of the grammar police myself, I must commend you on your use of "with whom" and "for which." Bravo old chap!
I love riding backwards on the train and watching people and the scenery. Sometimes get to see some lovely sights.
The last few interstate flights I have been on I have been sat next to women whilst there have been men sitting together on the opposite side of the aisle. I am wondering if they are now using the technology to separate the sexes as much as possible.
I did sit next to a very big man on one flight and rather wished I could use his stomach to rest my head as his partner was doing!
I can't sit backwards on trains...gives me a headache for some reason.
There's always interesting stuff to see while riding the train - a lot more to see than driving.
Post a Comment