Friday, April 18, 2008

I don't usually make political posts here at this blog, but the events of the past week have moved me to do so.

I'm sure you've all been watching The Colbert Report this week so you know that he's been taping it here in Philadelphia. If you haven't, come on! Get with the program! Don't tell me you watch the FOX news channel...

Anyway, Stephen has been here all week and he's been casting Philly in a pretty good light in only that special way that he can. I've always wanted to meet him. Among his guests were Mayor Michael Nutter, Governor Ed Rendell, and Ben Franklin. I've met all of these people before, and since they met Stephen, I sort of met Stephen vicariously through them, right?

In the Philadelphia Inquirer today, there's a story about the Democratic presidential candidate debates that were held here Wednesday night. I didn't watch them (I'm trying to keep my sanity). The story reported on the mountains of criticism ABC has been receiving over the moderators' questions. Well, duh! What can be expected by either the media or the candidates themselves? They should have had Stephen Colbert moderate the debate. I think a lot more people would have watched it (at least I would have).

And this past week we've received campaign calls from both Democratic candidates. The call from the Obama side invited us to a reception with a cash bar at a local country club. A similar call from Hillary's camp came as well. "Bah!" I said to both of them when I heard this. Did they really think we'd go to a political rally that has a cash bar?!?! Don't they realize my vote can be bought with a free bar?!?! Obviously neither candidate is in touch with Pennsylvania politics.

I'm just a jaded voter. I see how all of the candidates raise tens of millions of dollars to campaign. For what good is it?! That's a lot of money that could be used to feed the poor, shelter the homeless, help with children's' education, or at least buy me (and all of you) a beer. Does all of this money spent on advertising and campaign staffs really help us choose the best candidate? Not likely. The English have a pretty good system - limit the amount of campaign time allowed before the election. I mean, how well are any of the candidates that are in Congress representing their constituents while they're on the campaign trail?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You make some good points Sheen. They've been talking about having state funded campaigns for years, but of course as soon as someone starts making a LOT more campaign money than other candidates, the idea goes out the window (ahem Obama). I watched the "debates", wish I didn't...gave me a headache. I can't stand the round about way they go about saying things, so wishy washy. In the end, if you total what they've said, there's nothing concrete there at all!

-Badside