Friday, December 07, 2007

Christmas shopping, or just shopping in general: love it, hate it, or just get along with it?

For me its some of all three. I was at two different malls last Saturday getting my Christmas shopping done. I found a lot of great clothes for me, and resisted the temptation to buy any of them. Who knows if any of them were already in Santa's bag? And they'll all be marked down during the after-Christmas sales.

Shopping for others is a mixed bag. Gift certificate for my picky brother - easy. Gifts for Mom & Dad - I've just about given up. What they really need is better health, and that can't be bought. For my SO, I already had a few things, so I set out to get her a new purse & wallet and pajamas. After going to Macy's, Nordstroms, Bloomingdale's, Lord & Taylor, and a few other places, I've decided that I should have gone into fashion design. I know what I want and no one sells it. Pajamas - a thick flannel with a retro design, maybe Capri length pants. Not something pink with a little lace around the sleeves and legs that looks like something for Grandmother (forgive me, Grandma, for having to invoke you in this comparison). Not something thin, or made in China. I have the idea in my head, I just can't find it yet.

And purses! Ugh! Most of the junk out there have the over-stuffed, over-embellished, or over-the-hill look. Her style isn't to have the handbag jump out at you like a lot of them are. Conservative, but not frumpy. I finally found one at Wilson Leather that almost fit the bill. If I designed a handbag, I'd start with black leather, no contrasting stitching or big buckles. A good leather that won't scratch easy and keep its shape. It would have several interior pockets for the cell phone and compact, a key hook, and a couple zippered pockets. The lining wouldn't be black. I'd make it a lighter color to make it easier to find things. It would have a zipper across the top to keep things from falling out, and a flap to go over the top to hide the zipper and give it some more style. More square than round. I need to sketch this out for it to make any sense.

Okay, enough ranting. I need a cookie.

5 comments:

Edward Ott said...

christmas mall shopping the only way to survive it is to relax and enjoy the insanity.

Rat In A Cage said...

on-line shopping baby!

Shay said...

cookies are one of my favourite things about this season - I am loving sampling as many people's gingerbread as possible!

Also, I enjoy xmas shopping, I like the decorations in the mall, I like the xmas music, and I like picking out things for family and friends and thinking about how much they'll love my finds. ^_^

Bunny said...

It sounds like you really should have gone into design! You could be the next Kate Spade!

Like Riding A Bike said...

I have almost your perfect handbag. The only thing that's missing is the flap to cover the zip.

Happy Shopping