I was at a local 5K (running) race last night to do the 1-mile walk that they also had before the 5K. I did the walk since I'm not yet back to running a full 5K and a group of us were all going. Anyway, the walk and the run went well - people running, people cheering, a post-race party in the parking lot afterwards at the restaurant that sponsored the race, a good time was had by all.
We ate at one of the tables in the back of the parking lot, and as we were cleaning off our table to leave, I saw a guy in jeans and a dirty t-shirt carrying a bottle in a brown paper bag into the parking lot from the sidewalk. I thought to myself that he seemed a bit out of the ordinary. It was hot, so even if one was not running in the event, shorts would have been appropriate. And that bottle in the bag. The restaurant was not a BYOB, and they were serving beer and margaritas in the parking lot, so it seemed strange that he was carrying a bottle to the place. There were some kids trying to keep another kid from getting out of one of the port-a-pottys and I lost track of the strange guy.
Once we reached the crowd in the main parking lot, a couple from my group went one direction and me and another went a different direction. A few steps later I saw a mass of 2-4 guys in a tangle in an apparent fight heading our way. We got out of the way and watched them later fall in a big pile on the ground, lot of yelling and punching. A few of the guys in the crowd go over to break things up. I saw a guy with blood pouring down his head. Then I saw the strange guy pop up from the ground. Then I hear someone say they saw him break a bottle over the bleeding guy's head. A minute or two later the cops and medics show up and mop things up.
Very unusual. In the 20+ years of attending races, I've never seen a fight at one. I think runners are the most peaceful and courteous folks you'll ever meet. I mean, when I watched the 1st and 2nd place runners cross the finish line almost at the same time, it seemed to me that they were thinking "You first", "No, you first", "Only if I have to". Something else must have been going on with the strange guy and the race just happened to be there. Oh, and this was one of the few times I didn't have my cell phone on me to get a picture.
6 comments:
Very strange. You're right about the courtesy of the average runner. The guy with the bottle sounded like he didn't belong though. He was probably just there to start trouble.
The guy with the bottle as probably drunk and just looking for trouble. What a shame. I've never had a problem like that at any kind of running affiliated function I've been at. It's always laid back good times, lol.
Have a good weekend!
It always comes as a shock when violence erupts at a peaceful event. It seems so inconceivable and it tends to paralyse people even though their hearts starts to hammer.
I am happy to have brightened your Friday and helped to kick start your weekend.
I agree with the others, sounds like the guy wasn't with your group at all. Seems like there's always a bad apple trying to ruin it for everyone else.
Thank you for the birthday wishes!
I doubt he was one of the runners.Im sure if he was he'd of expended all his energy in the race.
Post a Comment