Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Just call me naive. I've been traveling here to Florida since late February and I just realized this week that one can buy beer at liquor & wine shops - single bottles and six-packs. I mean, back in Pennsylvania, one can only buy wine & liquor in state-run wine & liquor stores. Beer can only be sold in these ways: by the case at distributors, by the six-pack (and sometimes single bottles) in a deli or restaurant that has a license (and then only by a maximum of 12 bottles per visit).

So when I started visiting Florida and saw wine & liquor stores, I just assumed that they only sold liquor & wine. Grocery stores & gas stations/quick-marts do sell six-packs and some single bottles. The selection hasn't been all that great for the couple of grocery stores I've visited. So I was surprised when I went to one gas station Monday night and I found single bottles of Guinness Extra Stout. Woo hoo! Then last night I was surfing the net to see if there were any local microbreweries around that I may have missed earlier. One brewery had a list of local merchants for their beers, and one of them was the wine & liquor store just around the corner that I had been ignoring. So, tonight I went there on my way home from work. Nirvana!! The have an excellent selection of single bottles!! Tonight I'll be drinking a Shipyard Blue Fin Stout and a Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. There were more, so now I have my work cut out for me for future visits.

3 comments:

badside said...

I never knew that about PA. Sounds kind of sucky!

SheenV said...

Yes, PA liquor laws are for the benefit of the state and the created class of distributors. Not for the consumer. Not for the manufacturers. People are trying to change the laws, but its taking time.

Anonymous said...

i'm not a big beer-drinker, but when i must, order me up a guinness, ya feel me?